Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 18 - Siwa Oasis (4th Jan 11)


"The Siwa Oasis is an oasis in Egypt, located between the Qattara Depression and the Egyptian Sand Sea in the Libyan Desert, nearly 50 km (30 mi) east of the Libyan border, and 560 km (348 mi) fromCairo.[1][2][3] About 80 km (50 mi) in length and 20 km (12 mi) wide,[1] Siwa Oasis is one of Egypt's isolated settlements, with 23,000 people, mostly ethnic Berbers[1] who speak a distinct language of the Berber family known as Siwi. Its fame lies primarily in its ancient role as the home to an oracle of Amon, the ruins of which are a popular tourist attraction which gave the oasis its ancient name Ammonium."

Ruins in the middle of the town



Nope, it wasn't Halloween. :P
Local lady who was totally covered. Quite a common sight.
Just wondering how do they travel overseas and cross the borders?



Wakeboarding? Nope.
Snowboarding? Nope.
It's Sand-boarding!!


To the Great Sand Sea Desert - Libyan Desert



 
Desert!!!
3 years ago I went for a 3D2N Camel Safari in the Thar Desert in Jaisalmer, India, which pales in comparison to this Great Sand Sea Desert. However, this time, I chose not to stay overnight in the desert, which could be fun, but also very cold.


Sand Boarding Time!!!
(Okay, I must admit I did not sand board all the way down, as I injured my back while i was playing the swing in Tel Aviv.)


Instead, I sat on the board and slided all the way down. It was fun, but one time was enough. The effort to climb up the sand hill was too much. For every 2 steps forward, you slide back 1 step.



Stunningly Beautiful!!!
Desert is always mysterious and beautiful.
It seems to have a story to share with the travelers.
It always reminds me of the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.



Natural Hot Spring in the middle of an Oasis in the middle of Desert!!

It was an amazing experience. The water was gushing out from the underground, it was a bit smelly because of the sulphur content and the temperature was PERFECT around 35degrees celsius!! There was a British couple in their 50s who was hesitant to dip inside the hot spring.  I asked him "How often can you soak in a hot spring in the middle of a desert during winter time?" In the end, he was really happy to join us in his boxer, and his wife was covered in cloth. They did not regret it and was really enjoying the natural hot spring.

After half an hour, we reluctantly got out of the water, as we had to catch the sunset. 
Perfect experience. =)


Another Oasis in the dessert - Cold Spring.
The water was cold, and it should be a popular spot in summer.

Blue & Brown




Sunset in Desert


My Shadow


One of my favourite pics of this trip.




Sand Dune



Sunset, Desert & I.

One of my favourite moments in the trip. I was alone watching the sunset. It was very peaceful and enjoyable. Feeling the wind, Watching the sunset, Lying down on the sand.
This is Life. 
=)



Trial of my steps...
It faded away slowly as the wind blew.
This is the universal law of life.
Law of Impermanence.
My foot prints would eventually be gone.
That's a beautiful way of renewal and giving life.



Chilling out and drinking tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment